I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Disappearing comments. Also, html tags and registered bloggers

There has been a problem with comments disappearing from the ends of comment threads in this blog. And sometimes these comments will appear in the comment submission screen ( reached by clicking on the comment count at the bottom of each opening post ) but not in the normal comment-thread viewing screen ( reached by clicking on the list titled "Recent Posts" on the left side of the homepage). I recommend going to the comment submission screen to maybe get a complete or more complete list of comments. Also, on some of my recent comment submissions, I was not emailed the normal comment submission notification. Also, on Panda's Thumb I noticed that comments would mysteriously disappear and re-appear. This all reminds me of the following joke: Bill Gates says, "If the auto industry were like the computer industry, cars would get 1000 miles per gallon and cost $100." The auto industry answers, "If the auto industry were like the computer industry, brakes would work 99 percent of the time." I recommend saving copies of your comments in case you have to resubmit them.

========================

UPDATE: The problem of disappearing comments appears to have cleared up -- apparently it was caused by a very long delay in posting comments. Another blogger reported also experiencing problems at the same time. Still, though, there appears to be some delay in posting comments on the normal viewing screens, so the best chance of seeing the latest comments is by viewing the comment-submission screens. Anyway, I just love this blog! No longer do I have to bang my head against the wall trying to get my ideas posted on Panda's Thumb and other Internet forums.

Also, a short note was added to the discussion of html tags.

=========================

Also, the instructions for this blog say that there are very limited choices for html tags for comments. The only ones that work or are supposed to work are bold, italics, and a, but I find that a alone does not work but that the a href=" option does work. The a option is equivalent to the url option. On the a href=" option, spaces between the quote marks and the URL link are not allowed. The "strong" tag is the same as the "b" tag and the "em" tag is the same as the "i" tag.

Also , the names of some of the commenters are underlined in the comment headings -- this indicates that the commenter is registered on this blog service, www.blogger.com . Clicking on the name will bring up the commenter's profile and links to the commenter's blogs and other websites.

19 Comments:

Blogger Kizzzmet said...

Larry you're the only one who can delete comments, but you cannot edit them in anyway and neither can anyone else. I had a similar problem at one of my blogger blogs and what I figured out is that certain typed characters on blogger if put in the right places can make the comments inbetween them disappear on certain browsers. For instance I was using Firefox to read a comment by someone and then later I checked out the comments using Opera, there was a whole section of comments from that person which was invisible using Opera because the poster put something like *-*-* around his comment, I don't remember exactly what he put around his comment but it was something like that. At first I thought that there was a glitch in the blogger software but then I went back later using Firefox and I could see the comments and then I figured out what was going on by typing the same characters around a new comment and it had the same effect of disappearing on Opera. If that's not the problem then there is a gltich in the blogger software, blogger was acting up yesterday when I tried to publish something on one of my blogs, it wouldn't publish after repeated tries.

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Thanks for the info, but I don't think that is what caused the problem here. Please see the update on my opening post.

Monday, April 24, 2006 5:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But that would defeat Larry's grand experiment.

Monday, April 24, 2006 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

http://brainwashedgod.blogspot.com/2006/04/how-to-force-only-registered-users.html

how to force users to register

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:09:00 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

woops. try this

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

arrrgh. Its the top post at http://brainwashedgod.blogspot.com

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

BWE --

Yes, I was aware of the registration option, but I rejected it. I have often found registration to be a hassle on other forums. Sometimes my registration did not go through at all.

It sure didn't take "Anonymous" long to find this blog -- it was less than 10 days old when he posted his garbage, most notably on the ID/IC thread. Maybe he figures that he can provoke me into breaking my no-deletion policy so that he can call me a hypocrite.

There is also the option of comment moderation, but I don't want that either. Moderation prevents the timely posting of comments, and I would constantly have to check on my computer for incoming comments -- it would be an extra burden for me.

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spaces are not allowed anywhere in URLs (which is what appears inside the quotes of an "a" tag. Mosts browsers properly interpret spaces in URLs, but you are supposed to use "%20" wherever a space appears in the path.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry, love the new blog, it is SO you!

In the words of my favorite creationist, I love it so!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

anonymous

At least you got that right. You bet I am creationist, just not one of the bible-thumping, psalm singing, seat-hurdling, bobbing and weaving varieties.

My Gods are dead but when alive did things beyond human comprehension.

Congratulations. You finally said something rational. I say an A for Anonymous, an unknown person who must who use an alias. The internet is crawling with the likes of you. Anonymity should never have been allowed. It is nothing but license for unilateral abuse, your only talent. You are pathetic.

I love it so!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a jackass

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:38:00 AM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

Thank you Stephen and thank you for inviting me to this blog. It is very revealing.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:43:00 AM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

Speaking of disappearimg comments what happened to the biggest bully in cyberspace Spravid Dinger? Do you suppose Dilliam Wembski took him aside and told him to cool it?
That is exactly what Der Fuhrer Esley Welsberry has been telling his loyal goose-stepping, jack-booted, brown shirted, brown underware-stained underlings over at the Bunker. The only apparent difference is they pay no attention to Der Fuhrer while Spravid Dinger seems to have groveled at the feet of his master. He really should as Uncommon Descent is the only forum in cyberspace that would have him.

Maybe he is in transit on his way up to Vermont to give me a whipping. Lord how I hope so! At my age and general condition I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my days in a federal prison anyway.
I hope they will let me have a computer so I can continue to expose both sides of this infantile debate, the debate that ever should have occurred. If the lightweights like Ernst Mayr, Richard Dawkins and Stephen Jay Gould hadn't snookered the whole world with their slick atheist wordsmithing we would be discussing Bergian evolution today instead of Darwinian mysticism.

It is hard to believe isn't it?

Naturally,

I love it so!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:21:00 PM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

Whoever that was, I suspect Spravid Dinger, he can't spell my name right.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah? Well maybe you'd like to come up to Burlington, Vermont and tell me how to spell my name. I'll be waiting to greet your cum slurping ass with two barrels of double ought buck.

Got that?

Write that down!

I love gay sex so!

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

You have a great blog here Larry. Congratulations.

Friday, April 28, 2006 12:51:00 AM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

"pigs is pigs"
anonymous

I love it so!

Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger JohnADavison said...

Larry

I just had a real brainstorm. Wouldn't it be grand if it was impossible for the poster to delete his own message. If that could be coupled with an insistence on identity? I'll bet internet communication would sure take a turn for the better.

Imagine a scientific literature dominated by anonymous cowards who could say wahetever they wanted and retract whatever they said whenever they felt like it. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Have you noticed lately that there is virtually no ongoing defence of the Darwinian fairy tale in the professional literature? I have. They just go on blithely assuming it is gospel as absolutely nothing that is now being revealed can possibly support such an idiotic posture. It has always been that way. Darwinism has no critics and never did have. It is out of the question don't you know. But it is different now as the great antiquity of whole gene families is becoming apparent and as "preferred" pathways are being disclosed and as chromosmes have been shown to have recombined at "preferred" sites. If something is "preferred" it was "prescribed." There is now and never was a role for chance in either ontogeny or phylogeny just as Leo Berg insisted over eighty years ago. So did Einstein -

"Everything is determined... by forces over which we have no control."


I love it so!

Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>This comment has been censored by the webmaster<

Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home