I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Monday, November 12, 2007

"I'm from Missouri": the movie

Here is the plot summary:

Sweeney Bliss (Bob Burns), champion mule raiser in Missouri, takes his prize mule Samson to London, where the British government is trying to decide whether to buy mules or tractors for its colonial troops. He is accompanied by his ritzy wife Julie (Gladys George) who has high society aspirations and hopes to have her younger sister Lola Pike (Judith Barrett) marry a British diplomat. Complicating matters is a business rival, Porgie Rowe (Gene Lockhart), who is trying to sell tractors to the government and keeps knocking Sweeney's prize Missouri mules.

Many, many years ago, I saw a barbecue sauce with the brand name, "I'm from Missouri." At the time, I wasn't aware of the slogan and I thought that the only reason for the name was that Missouri was famous for barbecue (both Kansas City and St. Louis, at opposite ends of the state, are famous for barbecue). The second part of the slogan, "you'll have to show me," became the official Missouri state nickname, "Show Me State."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the interest of all Missourians I would like to point out that Larry is not from Missouri.

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! This 1939 movie is still "awaiting 5 votes" -- not a good sign.

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home