I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

John Lennon's no religion

As everyone knows by now, Loco Yoko Oh-No-No is suing the "Expelled" producers over the unauthorized use of a few seconds of John Lennon's song "Imagine" that include the words "and no religion too." In 1966, about five years before "Imagine" was released, John Lennon told a reporter something like the following statement, according to an article in IGN.com:

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first -- rock and roll or Christianity. Jesus was alright but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

I was aware at the time that a Beatle had said something like "we're more popular than Jesus" -- but I was not aware that the above statement would cause a furor. The IDG.com article continues,

The comments -- which apparently arose because Lennon was reading up on religion at the time of the original interview -- went largely unnoticed in the U.K., but in the United States them, apparently, are fighting words. When the quote was picked up months later in a teen mag called Datebook, the reaction was, shall we say, not the finest example of turning the other cheek . . .

. . . .Something of a witch-hunt did develop. Apparently spearheaded by disc jockey Tommy Charles of WAQY in Birmingham, Alabama, a "Ban the Beatles" crusade got underway, mostly in the American South. A group of radio stations refused to play The Beatles, and albums and other Beatles merchandise were destroyed in public displays of what some might describe as religious zealotry . . .

. . . on August 11, 1966, The Beatles held a press conference in Chicago and Lennon apologized. Sort of . .

Of course, things returned to normal for The Beatles shortly thereafter, and certainly their records were back in heavy rotation soon enough on the radio of the South -- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was just a year away. But something had changed for the band, who would never tour again . . . "Yeah, I didn't want to tour because I thought they'd kill me," he said of the fracas years later. . . ."One night on a show in the South somewhere, somebody lit off a firecracker while we were onstage. And there'd been threats to shoot us, the Klan were burning Beatles records outside, and a lot of Klu Klux kids were joining in with them."

.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you are not a Christian yourself, what is your point?

Sunday, May 04, 2008 5:19:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Anonymous said...

>>>>> Since you are not a Christian yourself, what is your point? <<<<<<

I was not trying to make a point -- I was just reporting what I thought was an interesting fact. It is obvious that my post did not state a point. Sheeeesh.

Anyway, I'll state a point now -- I think that this little tidbit of history might be relevant to Loco Yoko Oh-No-No's copyright infringement lawsuit against the "Expelled" movie -- this 1966 incident tends to show that the quoted words "and no religion too" do not misrepresent John Lennon's views.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Lennon was right about Christianity. Isn't it obvious that Jesus's miracles were a hoax. His mother was raped by a Roman solier, and the rest of his "miracles" were lies. Just because John Lennon wasn't brainwashed into believing a bunch of crap. He believed in not what he was taught but what he learned from life. It should be every one's goal in life to reach such clarity.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if Jesus's miricles are such a hoax, then you tell me someone who can do his acts better. we all find it easier to prove one wrong then prove one right. put that in your pipe and smoke it, and i better not hear of you smoking anything from any pipe~!

Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Christian and I believe what John said instead of the nuns. I've always questioned my religion and I think John gave me the answer I was looking for, that you believe what you want. The nun is going to KILL me because I don't believe in "All Mighty."

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:44:00 PM  
Blogger ZAROVE said...

The claim that Mary, Jesus's mother, was raped by a Roman Soldier was actually perpetuated by Jewish soruces that where hostile to Christianity about 200 years after-the-fact, and most Scholars wuld say that this is a hoax. The name of the Soldier, for example, is Pendarus, an obvious play on words.

Tnhe story can be found in the Talbobish Yeshu. Also, Jesus in that text was said to have been an evil wizard who learned ot do real miralce sby learnign the true name of God, after writting it down on a scroll.

The text was written to insult Christianity and deligitimise it, but was based upon original Christian texts.

Now, its own thing ot say the Virgin Birht did not occure, and the current consensus is that Marks Gospel is ht eoldest, and doens't mntion this. Perhaps it wa added later o fulfill prophecy. ( At lats the LXX records the Isaiah poriton as "Parthenos", or VIrign".) But if the VIrign Birth did not happen, and wa a later addiiton to support hsi Messianic claims, then the most logical explanaiton is that Jeus sis the son of Joseph,, not he n of a Roman Soldier who raped Mary.

That said, I think John Lennon was wrong. History doens't show Christianity beign storng until now and gradually fading away, it shows it cycling liek the real estate market or the stock market. Its strong sometiems and weak soemtimes.

Christianity is a Philosophical wrldview, which makes periodical returns.

I dount it'll vanish.

Friday, May 01, 2009 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Please use a spell-checker next time.

Friday, May 01, 2009 5:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home