NEW RULES FOR COMMENTS
The party's over, trolls.
Comments containing any of the following will be subject to deletion without trace. The examples I show are real -- I am not making anything up --
(1) Gossip about the private affairs of anyone -- I have already established this rule.
(2) A comment containing nothing but personal attacks.
(3) A factual statement not based on personal experience or a reliable source. Example -- saying that I lost all of my court cases.
(4) A statement that I or any commenter "knows nothing" about the law, or about science, or about this or that, or similar statements.
(5) Saying that I or anyone else misunderstood something without giving another interpretation.
(6) An attempt to prove or disprove a general statement by using me as an example. For example, suppose that I say, "arbitrary censorship of visitors' comments on blogs is a big problem." Then Voice in the Urbanness will answer, "but you have never given any example of where you were arbitrarily censored." A mathematics professor of mine once astutely observed, "we can't prove anything by example because we can never run out of examples."
(7) A misstatement or misrepresentation of a factual statement. For example, suppose a news report says, "Judge Jones said that the school board election results would not affect his decision." Then ViU will say, "Judge Jones said that he would follow the law in making his decision." That is a misstatement of fact because it is not what Judge Jones actually said. It would be OK (sort of) to say, "Judge Jones implied that he would follow the law in making his decision," because that statement is an opinion. IMO it is a worthless opinion, but it is still an opinion.
I may add to this list if necessary.
A comment containing any violation of the above rules will be subject to deletion without trace. I am not going to accept any comment just because it has some worthwhile stuff mixed in with a lot of garbage.
In some borderline cases, I may just issue a warning without deleting.
I may follow Panda's Thumb's example by establishing a Shithouse Wall file for deleted comments, where readers can go to see that the comments were properly deleted.
I expect that these rules will eliminate 99 percent of the garbage posted by ViU and other trolls.