I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Monday, August 04, 2008

Ben Stein regrets financial mistakes

Nope, it has nothing to do with the "Expelled" movie. Stein may have lost money on the movie, but so far I have not heard him regret making and marketing the movie.

Ben Stein said,

These days I spend even more time than usual beating myself up.

I'm supposed to know a lot about economics and finance. And I guess compared to some people and my dogs I do. But I still have made major money mistakes lately.

I have a lot more real estate than I should have. When prices were skyrocketing that was mighty sweet. Not so much now.

I have a lot more stock than I probably should have. A year and a half ago, that looked smart. Now we have some stock market days that turn my stomach.

How could I have made so many idiotic mistakes? How am I ever going to explain myself to my son that his inheritance disappeared? How will I ever pay for my livelihood when I'm older and grayer?

But I have some consolation! Yes, I lost money. But I didn't lose billions the way the top dogs at some banks did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real estate values and stock prices fluxuate a lot. A few years ago prices were high. Now they are low. A few years from now, maybe 5 or 10 it will be high again.

Buy low. Sell high. Now is the time to buy.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Sherwood said...

Nearly everyone loses money in a bear market. The movie did well enough at the box office, the CDs will be coming out, and groups are able to buy special showings. Anyway, let's hope that Ben is interested in more than money. It's vital to the public interest to keep the Darwin-zealots from teaching dogmatic versions of evolutionary doctrines in the public schools.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home