I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Monday, November 27, 2006

"The Controversy" is heating up in the UK

A current BBC news article reported,

Science teaching materials deemed "not appropriate" by the government should be allowed in class, Education Secretary Alan Johnson has been urged.

Chemistry teacher at Liverpool's Blue Coat School, Nick Cowan, says the packs promoting intelligent design are useful in debating Darwinist evolution.

Education officials insist intelligent design is not recognised as science.

It argues that evolution cannot explain some things so the universe must have had an intelligent creator.

The packs were sent out to 5,000 secondary schools by a group of academics and clerics known as Truth in Science.

The Truth in Science lesson plan pack is available online.

The Truth in Science pack is also discussed in an article in the Guardian Unlimited. As usual, I think that there is too much emphasis on intelligent design at the expense of other scientific (pseudoscientific to some) criticisms of evolution theory. In particular, I wish that my pet subject of co-evolution were getting more attention -- it is now almost completely ignored.

More discussion is on the Pharyngula and Red State Rabble blogs.

An organization founded by Darwinist Richard Dawkins is also planning to send promotional literature to UK schools. Answers-in-Genesis-UK says that it "does not send unsolicited literature to schools."

For more of my articles on the controversy in the UK, just scroll to the very top of the blog screen and enter "UK" in the search window in the top border.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> As usual, I think that there is too much emphasis on intelligent design at the expense of other scientific (pseudoscientific to some) criticisms of evolution theory. <

ID is obviously pseudoscience by any definition. I don't know why you are beating this dead horse.

> In particular, I wish that my pet subject of co-evolution were getting more attention -- it is now almost completely ignored. <

Perhaps because it is irrelevant. Co-evolution is not incompatable with evolution.

Do you have any actual support for ID besides just misrepresenting the opposition? If not, why haven't you posted it hear instead of your inane blather?

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The birdbrain seems to have even boring himself with his latest article!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:23:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

VIW said,
>>>>> Do you have any actual support for ID besides just misrepresenting the opposition? If not, why haven't you posted it hear instead of your inane blather? <<<<<

What "inane blather"? Most of my main article here consists of news items. The only personal opinion I stated here was my belief that ID is overemphasized at the expense of other criticisms of evolution.

Where in this post have I "misrepresented" the opposition's views about ID? Where have I represented the opposition's views about ID at all? It was not my purpose here to argue in favor of ID.

My own views about ID are presented here.

Anonymous said...
>>>> The birdbrain seems to have even boring himself with his latest article! <<<<<

Is somebody hassling you, Anonymous?

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> The only personal opinion I stated here was my belief that ID is overemphasized at the expense of other criticisms of evolution. <

This post was an exception in that way. Most of your posts do. At least you stepped down from your ridiculous claim that ID was a "scientific" criticism.

> Where in this post have I "misrepresented" the opposition's views about ID? Where have I represented the opposition's views about ID at all? <

In most every other post.

> It was not my purpose here to argue in favor of ID. <

I know you have no support for ID except blind belief. At least you have finally admitted it.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> Education officials insist intelligent design is not recognised as science. <

Education officials insist intelligent design is not be mistaken for science. <

> It argues that evolution cannot explain some things so the universe must have had an intelligent creator. <

Quantum theory cannot explain some things so the universe must be made of fire, earth, air and water.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home