I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Monday, December 17, 2007

A Tale of Two Lectures: "Creationism's Trojan Horse" v. "From Darwin to Hitler"

Barbara Forrest's "Creationism's Trojan Horse" lecture has been in the news lately because of the Chris Comer affair. Here is a video of one of Forrest's lectures (similar to her lecture in Austin).

Unfortunately, the video wouldn't work with my dial-up connection (maybe my connection is too slow). Here is a paper that Forrest recently wrote -- I presume that the paper is similar to her lectures.

Forrest's lecture mainly concerns the political and social issues of the evolution controversy rather than the scientific issues. Here (click on the online lecture on the webpage) is a video of another lecture that mainly concerns the political and social issues: "From Darwin to Hitler" by Richard Weikart (this video worked with my dial-up connection).

As I noted, both Forrest's and Weikart's lectures mainly concern political and social issues rather than scientific issues. Would Comer have sent out an "FYI" notice of the Weikart lecture?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry starts out with a presumption, based on his notorious inablility for logical thought:

> I presume that Forrest's lecture mainly concerns the political and social issues of the evolution controversy rather than the scientific issues. <

Then he states it as a fact:

> As I noted, both Forrest's and Weikart's lectures mainly concern political and social issues rather than scientific issues. <

Quite hopeless! This explains Larrys attempts to critique books that he admits he never read.

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:52:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

I initially expressed a little uncertainty because I was unable to view the Forrest lecture video on my computer. I fixed my post so that there is no inconsistency now.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:13:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Sherwood said...

The "Center for Inquiry" was founded by Paul Kurtz, a devout atheist and materialist. It seems to exist to promote religious views of that type. It might as well be called The First Church of Atheistic Materialism, evidently.

Suppose Comer had sent a FYI about a "Darwin to Hitler" lecture at a
fundamentalist Christian church? Hmm.

I can't get the video. The audio is too faint to hear.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

>>>>>> I can't get the video. The audio is too faint to hear. <<<<<<

I presume that you are referring to the "From Darwin to Hitler" video. Maybe you need to raise the volume control in the lower right-hand corner of the video.

BTW, when I played the video, it went silent at about 47 minutes, but after I set back the time, the video played to completion. It is a complete video.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

BTW, I greatly prefer transcripts to videos. You don't get all these problems with transcripts. Also, transcripts are much easier to copy into print.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Sherwood said...

I was trying to get the Forrest video. But she's evidently a clueless fanatic, anyway.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home