I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Important -- List of Comments

Unfortunately, unlike some other blog services, this blog service does not automatically provide a list of the latest comments (however, this service is free, so I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth). As a result, many new comments here tend to go unnoticed, particularly when posted on older threads. I am therefore establishing this location where commenters may announce new comments. You can either provide the information needed to find your comment -- i.e., the title of the thread and the date & time of posting -- or you can post the direct link to your comment. To find the direct link to your comment, do the following:

(1) Click on the appropriate title in the list of "Recent Posts" in the left-hand sidebar. If the title is no longer listed, you can do the following: (i) click on the last title in the list, and then a list of previous titles will appear, or (ii) enter the title in the "search this blog" window in the top border of the screen.

(2) When the title post and the thread appear, scroll down to your comment and click on the date & time at the bottom of your comment and the direct link will then appear in your URL (web address) window. Your comment may not appear in this list until some time after you submit it. Your comment will usually appear much sooner in the list on the comment entry screen, but you cannot get the direct link by clicking on the date & time on this screen.

Use of this list is of course optional, but if you want your comment to be noticed, you should announce it here. Please do not post the comments themselves here -- short titles or descriptions are OK.

As more title posts are added, I may move this list or create new lists from time to time.

11 Comments:

Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

http://im-from-missouri.blogspot.com/2006/05/judge-jones-hypocrite.html#c114829377861278458

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

http://im-from-missouri.blogspot.com/2006/05/brayton-take-3.html#c114830774765580198

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

http://im-from-missouri.blogspot.com/2006/05/brayton-take-3.html#c114829409999752936

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, use Google. You can create a list of recent comments easily using Blogger's stylesheets.

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Anonymous said --

>>>>>>Um, use Google. You can create a list of recent comments easily using Blogger's style sheets.<<<<<<

Could you please be more specific, Anonymous?

On the website of this blog service, www.blogger.com, I found some blog template coding for creating comment lists. I found the coding by entering "comment list" in the Blogger Help option. However, this coding does not create the kind of comment list I want. Basically, I would like a list of just the latest 10-20 comments that were entered anywhere in the blog, listed in reverse order of time of posting. However, this coding displays all of the comments entered under all of the articles (called "posts" on this blog service, as distinguished from the "comments" that follow them) on the blog home (main) page, and the comments are sorted according to the articles rather than the time of posting. It is apparent that there is no way to modify this code to do what I want to do. I have no idea why the blog service set up the coding in this way. By searching the Internet, I did find some coding that is supposed to do what I want to do, but I am not sure that this coding is safe to use and I don't want to risk messing up my blog.

To me, a comment list is basic, and I am surprised it was not a default feature provided in the original blog template. When there is a big blog with many articles, individual comments are likely to go unnoticed, particularly when they are posted under older articles.

Apparently some of the commenters here are experienced bloggers on this blog service. Maybe they could help me out.

I have had other problems with this blog service. For example, the "search this blog" option in the top border works only for searching words in the titles and not in the bodies of the comments. However, as I said, this is a free service and I am very grateful to have it, and I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Meanwhile, I don't think that my do-it-yourself list here is a bad idea. It allows a more permanent comment link for commenters who desire such a link for an important comment.

Monday, May 22, 2006 11:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should take a course in computer programming. Obviously it is a subject completely unknown to you.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 7:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a hint.

Go to Blogger.
Go to Help.
Go to Search.
Type in "recent comments"
Do what it says.

Seriously, if you cannot follow directions, how can you mount a coherent argument against entire scientific structures such as evolution, or historical facts such as the Holocaust.

Sheesh.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Anonymous said...

>>>>>Here's a hint.

Go to Blogger.
Go to Help.
Go to Search.
Type in "recent comments"
Do what it says.

Seriously, if you cannot follow directions, how can you mount a coherent argument against entire scientific structures such as evolution, or historical facts such as the Holocaust.<<<<<

Can't you give some advice without insulting people?

I have already found that Blogger Help stuff on my own -- no one directed me to it (see my comment of Monday, May 22, 2006 11:24:48 PM ). As I said above, it does not do what I want it to do. In fact, I have not yet seen any blog on this blog service with a comment list that does what I want to do.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted the link to the Circuit Court ruling on the Selman v. Cobb case in the first Selman post. It's taking forever to show up, so I thought I'd give a heads up on this thread.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird. I posted a comment here last night, but it didn't show up. Anyway, I posted my response to the first of Larry's 20 complaints about Judge Jones's opinion. To find it, go to the April archive, I believe it's the second thread from the bottom.

BTW, a possible workaround for the recent comments problem would be to use the method from the blogger help center, and then maintain a thread like this one that people can post to announce when they've posted on the older threads. Everytime it drops off the front page, create a new one. It's a compromise, sure, but it'd be better than what we have to do now.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 8:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind on the suggestion for the sidebar. I reread the blogger help page. My idea would work if there was a way to restrict the sidebar to showing the link for the most recent comment in each post, but as you correctly identified, it shows all comments.

A thought though. Perhaps you could show the number of comments each post has in the sidebar (and perhaps show more posts in the sidebar, though I don't know if you have control over that). It's a pain scrolling down the main page trying to see which posts have had the number of comments increase.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home