I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

PZ Myers, the Ann Coulter of Darwinism

Well, I hope that I have talked enough about the holocaust for a while. I don't like to dwell on that unpleasant subject -- I just wanted to help set the record straight. Now onto something different.

Ann Coulter has a bad reputation for being caustic, but she doesn't hold a candle to Darwinist PZ Myers.

PZ Myers, a biologist and associate professor at the University of Minnesota, is a blogger on Panda's Thumb and also runs his own blog, "Pharyngula." His review of the 3rd chapter of Jonathan Wells' new book, "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design," has been posted on both blogs, here and here. The review of the 3rd chapter is part of a group review of the book by the bloggers on Panda's Thumb. PZ charges Wells with quote mining a scientific paper, and I agree with the charge (I have some major objections to the scientific paper that Wells quote-mined, but that is another matter). PZ also charges that the 3rd chapter's claim that Darwin relied upon Ernst Haeckel's embryology is false. PZ gets very abusive in the review:

I could stop here. With that one example, Wells is exposed as a disreputable scoundrel, a sloppy ideologue whose “scholarship” is untrustworthy and willfully distorted. You simply cannot believe one word he says. I will go on a little further, though, and try to explain some of the ideas he has treated so shabbily.

-- and --

I keep looking for a word to summarize this book, and I keep coming back to “dishonest”; devious, unethical, deceitful, underhanded, shifty, false, and untrustworthy would also fit. I predict that in the coming reviews of other chapters in "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design" by my colleagues at the Panda’s Thumb, they’re all going to be using permutations of that concept of contemptible fraudulence to express their feelings about Wells.

PZ could have made his points without being so abusive -- additionally, his last sentence above shows a lack of an open mind about the other chapters of the book. This kind of invective is not out of character for PZ -- he once said in a comment on Panda's Thumb,

Please don’t try to tell me that you object to the tone of our complaints. Our only problem is that we aren’t martial enough, or vigorous enough, or loud enough, or angry enough. The only appropriate responses should involve some form of righteous fury, much butt-kicking, and the public firing and humiliation of some teachers, many schoolboard members, and vast numbers of sleazy far-right politicians.

Wow.

I admit to using abusive language myself, but usually only in response to personal attacks against me. PZ's apparent confidence that such excesses will not hurt his career as a college faculty member speaks volumes about the clout that Darwinists have on college campuses. One of these days, however, PZ might find that, like Kansas University religious studies professor Paul Mirecki, he has gone too far. Mirecki wrote in a semi-public Internet forum that his new for-credit course whose title labeled creationism and intelligent design as "mythologies" was a "nice slap in the big fat face of the fundies." As a result of that remark, Mirecki was forced to cancel the course and resign as department chairman. Lawrence Journal-World's "Evolution in Kansas" series has a good collection of articles about Mirecki's adventures.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"dishonest, devious, unethical, deceitful, underhanded, shifty, false, and untrustworthy"

Unfortunately for Wells, it is a perfectly accurate description of his book and his character.

It is also a perfectly accurate description of Larry, which is probably part of the reason he objects so strongly.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> I just wanted to help set the record straight. <

You failed totally and then ran for cover.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Anonymous said...

<<<<<<> I just wanted to help set the record straight. <

You failed totally and then ran for cover. <<<<<<

Is someone hassling you, anonymous?

I have gotten very few responses to my holocaust articles, and I can't spend all of my time answering comments, anyway. Researching and writing articles (opening posts) here takes a lot of time. I spend much more time researching articles than most bloggers do.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:45:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

W. Kevin Vicklund said...

>>>>>> It is also a perfectly accurate description of Larry, which is probably part of the reason he objects so strongly. <<<<<

Kevin, do you want to write the articles here? Do you think that you could do better? If not, then why don't you shut your trap?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> I have gotten very few responses to my holocaust articles, and I can't spend all of my time answering comments <

Having so few responses is a good reason to answer those limited responses. You were asked some very pointed questions, which you ducked. It looks like ViW has chased you off the subject with your tail between your legs.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Anonymous said --

>>>>> Having so few responses is a good reason to answer those limited responses. You were asked some very pointed questions, which you ducked. <<<<<<

You are full of shit, anonymous. I replied directly to all or most of the responses.

If I said that the sun sets in the west or that bears shit in the woods, you would call me wrong just for the sake of calling me wrong.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:16:00 AM  
Blogger DaveScot said...

PZ Myers career is already capped. He has nothing to lose. It's called "The Peter Principle". He's an associate professor at a mediocre university earning a salary about the same as the U.S. Postal worker who delivers his mail. That's it. Carve it into his headstone. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Kevin, do you want to write the articles here? Do you think that you could do better? If not, then why don't you shut your trap?"

The amount of brazen falsehoods that you have been spewing the past couple of weeks has risen above your normal level of ignorance - one in almost every post, plus a whole lot of ignorant (at best) statements. You bet I could do a much better job, at least in the research and honesty departments. I don't claim to be a great writer, but at least I make the attempt to not only extensively research, but understand what I'm writing about.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> I replied directly to all or most of the responses. <

I asked what the difference was if the number killed was off even by a large factor. Would it be any less a crime?

You failed to answer.

I asked what the difference would be if some of those identified as Jews were not Jews?

You failed to answer.

I asked what the difference would be if some Jews were not identified and escaped.

You failed to answer.

I asked why you hated your ancestors as the latest topic seemed to indicate.

You failed to answer.

> If I said that the sun sets in the west or that bears shit in the woods, you would call me wrong just for the sake of calling me wrong. <

If you said either of these I would point it out as one of the rare times that you are right. There have been at least two or three times that you accidentally said something that was true and I have acknowledged it.

In contrast, I am nearly always right and you have always failed to return the favor.

The problem is that you are, as Winston Churchill said about Clement Attlee, "rarely fortunate in the coincidence of your facts with the truth". In fact you disprove the old axiom that a stopped clock is right twice a day.

You seem to be more like a faulty compass that reliably points south.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the posts that I made yesterday appeared on the blog as ascii gibberish. I didn’t think it was worth noting as it is obvious.

A lot of the original posts by Larry(?) also seem to be gibberish but then again, they always have been that way.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that Larry(?) has started a new breathtakingly inane thread in order to dodge my questions.

It is a shame that he lacks basic logic and debating skills. It is getting dull blowing him out of the water with so little challenge.

Friday, September 01, 2006 8:22:00 AM  
Blogger O'Brien said...

DaveScot said...

PZ Myers career is already capped. He has nothing to lose. It's called "The Peter Principle". He's an associate professor at a mediocre university earning a salary about the same as the U.S. Postal worker who delivers his mail. That's it. Carve it into his headstone. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:57:07 AM


I essentially agree with DaveScot here. Not only is Peezee a professor at Podunk U., but his last peer-reviewed publication dates to 1998.

As for Peezee's blog traffic, I attribute that to the fact that stultorum infinitus est numerus.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home