I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Salem hypothesis

I have been aware for a long time that engineers have an especially strong tendency to be skeptical of Darwinism, but I just now learned that this tendency has a name: the "Salem hypothesis." I am especially interested in this tendency because I am an engineer myself.

Wikipedia says,
.
The "Salem Hypothesis" is credited to Bruce Salem, a regular contributor to the Usenet talk.origins newsgroup . . . .

-- and Wikipedia gives two versions of the hypothesis:

The first states: "In any Evolution vs. Creation debate, A person who claims scientific credentials and sides with Creation will most likely have an Engineering degree."

The second states: "An education in the Engineering disciplines forms a predisposition to Creation/Intelligent Design viewpoints."

I feel that the reason why we engineers tend to be skeptical of Darwinism is that we are a logical, practical, no bullshit, cut the malarkey, "I'm from Missouri," "show me" kind of people.

The Salem hypothesis is discussed on Pharyngula, Sandwalk, and here and here on Uncommon Descent. There are lots of comments.

As John Paul II said of Darwinism, "Salemism is more than just a hypothesis."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ex-engineer. You show no evidence of the type of critical thought necessary for engineering work.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Salem hypothesis might even become a theory now. Joke.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:41:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Anonymous said...
>>>>The Salem hypothesis might even become a theory now. Joke. <<<<

I think that it has already become a law. No joke.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home