I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Thomson-Scientific admits wrongdoing

Well, almost but not quite. I received the following very suspicious-looking email from the general counsel of Thomson-Scientific (background info on this matter is here, here, here, and here). Don't anyone try charging that this email is a forgery -- there is no way I could forge this email because the header is provided by my ISP:
.
Dear Mr Fafarman
I am the General Counsel for Thomson Scientific.
I understand from Allison Hagan, our Director of PR and Communications, that you have raised a complaint relating to our inclusion of the 'Panda's Thumb' website in the index of the Web of Knowledge. We have carefully reviewed your complaint but, for the reasons explained to you by Kathleen O'Donnell, we will not be removing the website from that index.
We regard this as the end of this matter. We have instructed Allison and the members of our customer support team neither to take your calls nor respond to your emails.
If you continue to harrass Allison, the Customer Support team or any other employees of Thomson Scientific, we will have recourse to all legal remedies available to us.
Yours sincerely
Jane Reeves
General Counsel Thomson Scientific

As for your statement, "We regard this as the end of this matter," my answer is that "it ain't over until the fat lady sings," you blustering shyster.

The threat to sue me is of course an idle threat -- I can't be sued just for exercising my legal right of protesting the company's practices. The email's defensiveness and attempt at intimidation does raise some very big suspicions, though. I of course cannot compel any Thomson-Scientific employee to respond to my communications, but why would the company deny its employees the discretion to respond to my communications? That is very fishy -- it implies that the company is afraid that the employees might expose some wrongdoing.

Anyway, one thing I want is information about any government funding that the ISI Web of Knowledge may have received. This is something I have a right to know, and if Thomson-Scientific won't tell me, I hope to get this information by means of a Freedom of Information Act request. Our tax dollars should not support Thomson-Scientific's condoning of arbitrary censorship of our views, and particularly not the condoning of the abominable practice of IP address blocking, which is hardly even censorship because it often blocks comments from a large number of people who share the same ISP proxy IP address.

As for other points in the email:

. . . you have raised a complaint relating to our inclusion of the 'Panda's Thumb' website in the index of the Web of Knowledge.

That was only part of my complaint -- my complaint was much broader than that.

We have carefully reviewed your complaint but, for the reasons explained to you by Kathleen O'Donnell . . .

Kathleen O'Donnell did not explain any reasons at all -- she did not answer any of the points that I raised. Also, O'Donnell edits the index only in the areas of agriculture, biology, and environmental science, and there was no evidence that she was also speaking for the editors in other areas of science.

. . . we will not be removing the website from that index.

I did not expressly request that Panda's Thumb be removed from the ISI Web of Knowledge index.

If you continue to harrass Allison, the Customer Support team or any other employees of Thomson Scientific, we will have recourse to all legal remedies available to us.

One must start doing something before one can continue doing it. I did not "harass" those people -- I did not telephone them with any great frequency, and in many cases they did not respond to my telephone messages.

Also, I asked that this matter be brought to the attention of Thomson law affiliates Thomson-West et al., who sponsor the Law Professors Blogs network, but there is no evidence that this was done.

In a way I am glad that Thomson-Scientific brought this matter to a head quickly rather than string me along for a long time.

Anyway, folks, please keep those protest emails coming -- they are obviously having an effect.
.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Larry's one-lunatic crusade just ran into the predictable cease-and-desist order. Of course, Larry interprets it as an admission of guilt, rather than a final warning. Yes, Larry, service professionls can and do successfully sue for harassment.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Kevin Vicklund drivels,
>>>>> service professionls can and do successfully sue for harassment. <<<<<<

You call this "harassment," dunghill? It is Thomson-Scientific that is harassing -- harassing me and others, maybe even using our own tax dollars to help suppress our freedom of expression.

Kevin, you and perhaps Voice In the Wilderness are the only trolls who still bother to post comments here. The other trolls long ago realized that my airtight arguments have them by the balls. All they could do was just call me names, say that I'm full of shit without saying why, etc..

Anyway, I would very much like Thomson-Scientific to seek a cease-and-desist order -- I need all the publicity that I can get, especially considering that I have missed opportunities for publicity because of my holocaust revisionism.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like someone from Thomson is currently reading this thread. Looks like they're doing their homework on you, Larry (came here with the search term "fafarman"). Did you send another harassing email to them? Not obeying the cease-and desist letter, are you?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

>>>>>>Looks like someone from Thomson is currently reading this thread. <<<<<

You have shown no evidence of that, but if it is true, so much the better -- it helps show that I am getting their attention.

>>>>>> Not obeying the cease-and desist letter, are you? <<<<<

I call it a "seize and resist" letter. You know what you and Thomson-Scientific can do with that letter, dunghill.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> Kevin, you and perhaps Voice In the Wilderness are the only trolls who still bother to post comments here. <

Fewer people are showing any interest in your blog.

> The other trolls long ago realized that my airtight arguments have them by the balls. <

You have yet to post a valid argument, let alone an "airtight" one. As a eunuch, nobody could have you by the balls. (Oh sorry. I guess that is personal information.)

> All they could do was just call me names, say that I'm full of shit without saying why, etc.. <

You are projecting again. Kevin and I have given good arguments and you have replied with insults.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You call this "harassment," dunghill?

Larry(?), I'm again appalled at how you are dragging our family name through the mud. It just isn't right.

Bill Carter has suggested, "When you are in a hole, stop digging!" This recommendation has obviously had no effect on you, so I won't repeat it. However, I am curious as to what the bottom line is for you. Supposing that you do succeed in digging down to China, are you hoping that the Intelligent Designer will put in an appearance and pat you gratefully on the back? What is the reward here?

Incidentally, why do you find it necessary to dump rude insults on the ever-patient, -polite, -helpful W. Kevin Vicklund?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Fake Dave drivels,
>>>>>> I'm again appalled at how you are dragging our family name through the mud. <<<<<<

What do you mean, "our" family name? It is not your family name, Fake Dave, unless there has been some very strange coincidence (Fafarman is an uncommon name), and so you probably shouldn't sweat it.

>>>>> Incidentally, why do you find it necessary to dump rude insults on the ever-patient, -polite, -helpful W. Kevin Vicklund? <<<<<<

Are you kidding? Kevin Vicklund is a self-appointed goon of arbitrarily censoring bloggers who goes around to other blogs trying to get my comments and the comments of others censored. He has some rotten nerve posting comments here under his real name. If it were not for my no-censorship policy, he would not be allowed to post comments here under his real name.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> What do you mean, "our" family name? It is not your family name, Fake Dave <

Is the real family name of the Dave who posts here. Don't you realize how pitifully stupid you look trying to pretend differently. Why don't you stop calling him and demanding that he stop posting if he is not real? Are you talking to phantoms on your phone?

> Kevin Vicklund is a self-appointed goon of arbitrarily censoring bloggers who goes around to other blogs trying to get my comments and the comments of others censored. <

That is an outright lie. Not an uncommon practice for you. It has been shown repeatedly that he has done nothing of the kind.

The hole that you have created for yourself can't get any deeper. Do yourself and others a favor and have yourself committed.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry(?),

You have definitely fallen off the edge. If you truly believe half of what you post here, you are seriously ill. It is not too late to get help.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

I would be ashamed to post a comment just saying that someone else is wrong without saying why.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> I would be ashamed to post a comment just saying that someone else is wrong without saying why. <

Then you must feel ashamed often.

Friday, April 27, 2007 6:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home