I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Funny, he doesn't look like a Jew. Who knew?






Professor Eugene Volokh


====================================================

Idiot-savant Eugene Volokh, a blogger on the popular Volokh Conspiracy blog, is just one in a long line of well-known people of Jewish descent who I never even imagined had Jewish ancestry. People like him strengthen my argument that a "systematic" holocaust was impossible because the Nazis had no reliable way of identifying Jews. There are blond-and-blue-eyed Jews and black Jews. There are all kinds of Jews.
.
Volokh said in a Wall Street Journal article,
.
Modest amounts of anti-Semitic speech and unfair criticism of Israel, it seems to me, can strengthen American Jews' self-identity as Jews, and thus indirectly both support the preservation of the American Jewish community as a community, and strengthen support for Israel . . .

. . . If anti-Semitic speech became too common, these community-strengthening effects may be decreased (for instance, if American Jews became afraid to be publicly identified as Jews) or might be swamped by harmful effects (again, such as violence, ostracism, discrimination or fear suffered by individual Jews). But my sense is that at modest levels, the existence of this speech in America is a net positive (not an unalloyed positive, but a net positive) both for Israel and for the American Jewish community. And we are talking these days about such modest levels, if one looks at the big picture of Jewish existence in America today.

So far I have tried to be purely descriptive: I have tried to describe what I think is an existing phenomenon, a phenomenon that is positive for Israel and for the American Jewish community as a community. (I should say that I'm a relatively assimilated Jew who doesn't care as much about the American Jewish community as a community as some do; I'm much more concerned with the welfare of individuals, Jewish or not, than with the welfare of the community. Still, even I see some value, so long as anti-Semitism does exist, in America and elsewhere, in protecting Israel and preserving American Jewish institutions.)

Now, though, let me shift to the prescriptive: I think that this phenomenon ought to further strengthen American Jews' support for free speech, including for free speech by anti-Semites and unfair, bigoted critics of Israel. (I think we should support such free speech even without this phenomenon, but I hope this phenomenon strengthens such support in others.)

Well, Gene, maybe someday your support for free speech will extend to blogs.
.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You certainly haven't strengthened you case. He looks very Jewish, as do you.

There certainly are Jews that don't have what are thought to be "Jewish" characteristics, but you didn't find one this time. Keep looking.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> You are arguing my case for me. <

No, dumbshit. I would agree that you could not identify 100% of all Jews by their physical characteristics. You could probably only identify 90%. That would be enough for a systematic genocide as occurred in WWII. If you threw in things other than appearance for identification, you could probably get up to 95%.

There were other categories of people who were included in the holocaust such as Gypsies, who could also be identified by appearance, and Jehovah's Witnesses, who could not. It is not that difficult.

No doubt there were a few non-Jews who were mistakenly taken to be Jews but most of those turned into lampshades were your relatives.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the Jewish looking guy in the picture?

Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry, I recommend a film, based on a true story, for you to see: Europa Europa.

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. But now that you've let it out of the bag... I do not deny the Holocaust! Emphatically I don't. I thought this was a good way to ease Larry into reconsidering his position. The film's about a Jewish kid who passes for Aryan during World War II and even gets into the Hitler Youth, and there's a scene in which he submits to the Aryan "test" and passes. The fact that "recognizable Jewish feature" was a pseudoscience doesn't refute the Holocaust, it just shows that the Holocaust mentality was supported by pseudoscience.

So of course the Nazis had no reliable way of "recognizing Jews." But that didn't stop them from killing people - and absurdly sparing this kid, who scammed them (and he had to!)

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home