I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Scientific method used in studies of co-evolution

Believe it or not, I actually used the scientific method in my studies of co-evolution. First I stated a theorem of co-evolution. Then I theorized that co-evolution would be much more difficult in interspecies relationships where: (1) there is totally co-dependent mutualism as opposed to other kinds of interspecies relationships, e.g., predator-prey, parasite-host; (2) the required changes in both organisms are of kind and not just degree, i.e., the changes cannot be completely gradual; and (3) the traits are totally dependent (i.e., fatal or very harmful in the absence of the corresponding trait in the other organism) in both or at least one of the organisms. I then searched for such interspecies relationships and I think that I found a fairly good example in buzz pollination.

One scenario in which the evolution of buzz pollination might occur is that some flowers with regular exposed pollen developed tube-contained pollen while retaining the exposed pollen and that the exposed pollen feature then disappeared after buzz-pollinating insects appeared. But this is a very complicated evolutionary pathway for unguided evolution.

Also, as I said, a basic problem for co-evolution of co-dependent mutualism is that in order to have a benefit, corresponding changes in both organisms must co-exist at the same time and the same place, and that is unlikely when changes are rare (and is especially unlikely when the changes are fatal or very harmful in the absence of corresponding changes in the other organism). This is a problem even for gradual changes.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> Believe it or not, I actually used the scientific method in my studies of co-evolution. <

Not.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karl Popper is crying in his grave.

Monday, September 22, 2008 9:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home