I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Reports on 2008 Technorati survey of bloggers

A while ago I announced a Technorati survey of bloggers -- results of the survey have now been published in the following reports. I participated in the survey. The survey did not use scientific sampling.

Who Are the Bloggers?

The What And Why of Blogging

The How of Blogging

Blogging For Profit

Brands Enter The Blogosphere

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it shows that you are not a typical blogger. What's your point?

Thursday, October 02, 2008 8:26:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

I am not trying to make a "point" -- I don't understand why you think I always must have a "point."

There is no such thing as a "typical" blogger -- no characteristic or set of characteristics is outstandingly common among bloggers. I presented this survey for two reasons: (1) to increase participation among bloggers (my first post) and (2) to present the results for those who are interested (my second post). As for the first reason, I think the results in "The How of Blogging" report show that the responding group was heavily skewed towards Technorati users -- under "How bloggers attract visitors," 83% responded, "list your blog on Technorati." 77% -- including me -- responded "comment on other blogs." However, I have expected to see a big uptick in my blog's traffic after I post an on-topic link to this blog when commenting on a very popular blog, but I have never seen such an uptick. What really pisses me off is when I am accused of "advertising" or "peddling" this blog when I post an on-topic link to this blog when commenting on other blogs or websites. I never post off-topic links to this blog on other websites. Too many people have some very strange ideas about Internet etiquette. The whole Internet culture needs to be radically reformed.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> However, I have expected to see a big uptick in my blog's traffic after I post an on-topic link to this blog when commenting on a very popular blog, but I have never seen such an uptick. <

Try making rational posts without rancor and insult. People seeing you post this sort of thing on other blogs would only expect to see the same on your own blog. Their expectation would be right.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may not like this but I found your blog by way of the Pharyngula Dungeon. It lists people who are banned from posting there.

I don't post there, just read some of the articles and some of the comments. There's no point in commenting there. I don't share their point of view, never will, and they will never share mine barring a miraculous event.

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

dootland said...

>>>>>>> You may not like this but I found your blog by way of the Pharyngula Dungeon. It lists people who are banned from posting there. <<<<<<


Actually, I don't mind at all. The referrals page of my SiteMeter website (the SiteMeter icon is at the bottom of the sidebar on the home page) shows that I get a lot of referrals from Pharyngula's killfile dungeon. These referrals generate more traffic for this blog and I think that once people see this blog they think that it is not as bad as Sleazy PZ Myers claims it to be (he calls it a "bottomless pit of stupidity").

>>>>>> I don't post there, just read some of the articles and some of the comments. There's no point in commenting there. I don't share their point of view, never will, and they will never share mine barring a miraculous event. <<<<<<

Yes, but you could post comments there just for the benefit of people who think like you and who read that blog for the same reason that you do -- just to get information and ideas.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 6:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, I could post there then get thrown in the dungeon next to you.

If your views are too contrary to the majority view you'll be branded as a troll or someone trying to cause trouble.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 4:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> If your views are too contrary to the majority view you'll be branded as a troll or someone trying to cause trouble. <

Larry's biggest criticism comes from his unwillingness to support his positions and his resorting to personal attack at the drop of a hat. His arbitrary censorship doesn't help.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home