I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Victory in Florida

An "academic freedom" bill was approved 4-1 by an education committee of the Florida state senate.

The priority should be to get rid of that stupid statement in the state science standards that says that evolution is "the fundamental concept underlying all of biology." That simply is not true.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the fundamental concept underlying all of biology." That simply is not true.

According to the National Academy of Sciences and Institute of Medicine of the National Academies:

Evolutionary biology has been and continues to be a cornerstone of modern science..

Who do you think is the authoritative voice on valid science? Elected religious fundamentalists in Florida and Larry here or the world's leading scientific organization with over 2,100 members, of whom nearly 200 have won Nobel Prizes?

I'll take door number two.

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

Saying "evolutionary biology has been and continues to be a cornerstone of modern science" is a hell of a lot different from saying that evolution is "the fundamental concept underlying all of biology." Duh. In fact, why even have the name "evolutionary biology" if all of biology is about evolution? That's a little redundant, isn't it?

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Sherwood said...

Most believers in Darwinism are mere followers of "authority:" they hold that they should abandon their own power to think, and simply bow to some group which is allegedly "authoritative."

It's a marvel that they don't yet face NAS headquarters and prostrate themselves five times daily. But that may be coming soon.

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Darwinist, I'm simply a sheep,
Who wants to be told where to leap:
It's improper, I say,
To think or to stray:
And we sheep? Just count us, and sleep.

(Leaver follows every "official decree" put out by the majority at the National Academy of Sciences. He attended Sheepford University in England, which produces even more ultraconformist sheep than does Oxford.--Jim Sherwood)

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Sherwood said...

For the benefit of true-believers in Darwinism who may suppose otherwise, I personally don't recognize any "authority" in matters of thought. Hence I don't belong to or attend any religious group or similar organization. I use my own head. O.K.?

Meanwhile, I hear that Judge Jones is disturbed by some people who think too independently, in Florida and elsewhere:

A jurist named Jones: "I can spy
Some thinkers whose thoughts may defy
My almighty ruling!
Do they think that I'm fooling?
I'll knock them all down!(Or I'll try.)"

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

< I use my own head. >

To pound nails or what?

Friday, March 28, 2008 6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And all doubters of "Darwinism" are the most inflexible followers of "authority": The Bible.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chatter that Darwinist chatter.
It's dogma? It's stupid? No matter!
I've always preferred
To run with the herd:
It maketh my pocketbook fatter!

(My friend Professor Darwinbabbler has no idea whether Darwinist dogma is really true, or not. But he knows for sure that by pretending to believe in it he gets research grants, paid for by the taxpayers.--Jim Sherwood)

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just when you thought the quality of Larry's blog couldn't get any lower here comes Jim trotting out cheesy limericks.

He does have a genuine skill though: Jim can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I've seen.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He does have a genuine skill though: Jim can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I've seen.

I wonder if this might be useful as part of a file compression algorithm?

Hmm ... nah. :-}

Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home