I'm from Missouri

This site is named for the famous statement of US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver from Missouri : "I`m from Missouri -- you'll have to show me." This site is dedicated to skepticism of official dogma in all subjects. Just-so stories are not accepted here. This is a site where controversial subjects such as evolution theory and the Holocaust may be freely debated.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

My biggest motivation for creating my own blogs was to avoid the arbitrary censorship practiced by other blogs and various other Internet forums. Censorship will be avoided in my blogs -- there will be no deletion of comments, no closing of comment threads, no holding up of comments for moderation, and no commenter registration hassles. Comments containing nothing but insults and/or ad hominem attacks are discouraged. My non-response to a particular comment should not be interpreted as agreement, approval, or inability to answer.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The"bad design"argument against ID

Ironically, proponents of Intelligent Design try to stick to scientific arguments whereas the critics of ID often resort to arguments of a religious or theological nature. One of the favorite such arguments of ID critics is that a good, benevolent, unerring, and all-powerful "intelligent designer" would not have made the bad designs that we often see in nature. The appendix is often cited as an example. However, I think that the overall design is so bad that it might be better to just start over with a clean slate. Let's start with immortality. I have thought that immortality would be as terrifying as death -- we would keep doing the same things over and over again until the boredom became inbearable --- so maybe a lifespan of, say,10,000 years would be better But then I thought that there are some things that I never tire of doing, and there are so many things to do in the world that by the time I finished doing all of them and had to start over doing old things again, those old things will be so far in the past that I will have forgotten them and they will seem like new things again, so I will never get bored. So I have concluded that good design would include immortality.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lazarus Lupin said...

Either way, if we were immortality we would be able to handle it. We'd either be designed to handle it, or since only those who could handle it would be passing on genes and memes it would eventually work out as well.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Merle said...

I see that you have removed the search feature from this blog. Why?

Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Fafarman said...

That is impossible. I have no control over that feature.

To see that feature, you must scroll to the very top of the blog. Maybe you are not scrolling to the top.

Monday, April 25, 2011 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home